homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(dumb)

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(dumb)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:44:57 -0400

On 3/19/07, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

On 3/19/07, sanrico AT highdesert.com <sanrico AT highdesert.com> wrote:
> Sure sounds like spreading, alright! I've always been fascinated by the
uses of
> bamboo,

I know it grows fine in New Jersey with its mild ocean-moderated
winters, but has anyone tried growing it in, say, region 6 in the
interior US?

We are in region 5 1/2 to 6 because of our micro-climate. We're just 40
minutes southwest of Roanoke, but they have a three week longer growing
season because of our higher elevation. Bamboo grows fine here. We have two
stands of it - planted by the previous owner - and we keep it from spreading
all over hill and dale by mowing the new shoots down every year. If we
didn't do that, it would be everywhere. Ours is a variety that doesn't get
very tall, reaches about 6-10', still long enough for being a help in the
garden but too short for fishing poles. In the fall the bamboo has beautiful
pinkish red flowers and that's my favorite part.

Lisa