homestead - [Homestead] An attire dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] An attire dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:47:27 -0700

Chris is in a closet-cleaning mode and repercussions abound. A permanent lifestyle change dilemma unanticipated: to keep or not to keep my shoeshine kit. Probability of future use is slim. Except for weddings and funerals—the latter which in the Ozarks are commonly attended in clean bib overalls—there is little likelihood of wearing a suit or even a sport coat, and then the latter more likely with the now-popular shoes evolved from sports, shoes that at any rate exhibit no shiny leather. But to toss the kit, which contains shoe polish in brown, black, cordovan and white, plus application and shining brushes for each color, means tossing something of value, hard to do for a boy who grew up poor and who admires the mindset of use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. There is then the further associated question of which shoes to keep or donate to Goodwill. It is hard to give up perfectly good shoes, old and true friends of many years. The cowboy boots, the dress boots, the loafers, ah, a life of decadence flashes before one’s eyes. There may be future grandchildren weddings, if such anachronism survives, and if joinings together in fact entail dress clothes. There is the further issue of moulding leather, common in an old Ozarks farmhouse. I have one answer but seek a menu. Come to my aid, wise homesteaders!