homestead - Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:46:17 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
As homesteaders, how
shall we react to all this contentious "yes, it is, no, it isn't" arguing? Shall we act one way if global warming is affected by humans
and act another way if it is not? Seems to me we act the same no matter the answer. We seek lives as independent from the mainstream
economy as we are able to effect. The homesteader way provides a modicum of food and fuel security. It is a lifestyle that is morally
sound and economically pragmatic. It lives light on the Earth. And
it allows us to smile at the rabble rousers in the cities who fight> for an
audience.

Ah, but as much as we hate to be, even we are consumers, and knowing
what is and isn't true helps us make decisions. Should we pay more to
buy a dual fuel car that runs on ethanol, knowing that the ethanol is
made with GM corn??? Also, that knowledge comes in handy at the poll
booth...If we think a politician is rational when it comes to
environmental issues vs. emotional when it comes to environmental
issues, that may indeed affect our vote. For example, sometimes people
with good intentions, like Gore, just get all screwed up and suddenly
start to think irrationally and hold to beliefs not based in fact.
Another good intention gone awry, in my opinion, was the creation of
PETA. BTW, I don't mean to pick on Al Gore, but he has put himself on
the forefront of environmental issues, so he is fair game, imo, and
indeed his heart is in the right place, but is he promoting change that
will make a real difference in the health of the planet, or change that
will make a political/economic difference?

Bev, sticking a toe in...lol
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.