homestead - Re: [Homestead] Illinois land conditions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Illinois land conditions
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:57:56 -0700

I'm right smack in the center of Illinois, so
quite a ways from the Mississippi. I'm a good 3 hour drive from St.
Louis, but yes, northeast of there. I'm in a very poor county, and
sought it out for purposes of Yuppie avoidance, and because of its
sheer beauty and remoteness.

Thanks for the education. I thought everything in northern Illinois was deep, rich corn soil and therefore unsuitable for homesteading.

Driving time from a big city impacts rural population, nature, and prices. Southwest Wisconsin is beautiful but gets weekend influx from Rockford, Chicago and Minneapolis. How far are you from Chicago in driving-time?