homestead - [Homestead] Illinois land conditions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Illinois land conditions
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:31:36 -0700

According to the DNR, geologically speaking, Sand Ridge is what it is
because the sand deposits were left here when the waters from melting
glaciers at the end of the last ice age deposited massive amounts of
sand here as the waters drained away down the river valley. Following
the ice age, there was a period of extreme dryness and warmth, which
is how we ended up with cactus here (unusual for Illinois). We are
over a big aquifer. But I suspect that the water table might also be a
high where I live. I'm in a bit of a valley here, and I note that
there are no basements amongst my neighbors' homes, except for a few
homes with walk-out basements. That is one thing I need to ascertain
before I build a storm/root cellar. I may have to look into an
above-ground shelter, or mound earth over a semi-buried shelter.

Gloria, please remind us where in Illinois you are located.