homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:05:06 -0500

Well, I can't grow alfalfa here, either. I think maybe our summers are
too hot? I don't know. We do have clay, but my pasture is rocky
acidic, not loamy acidic. :) There's no way you can harrow it.
I've done the hand broadcast thing on my 7 acre pasture, so I know
what's involved in that...wow, what a job!

Gloria Morris wrote:

Before I get it established on my new place, I'm going to have to do
some soil testing. I have sand here, pure sand. I have no idea at
this point what my pH is, and looking at the soil, I'd say it is low
on the fertility scale ('course I'm a girl from an area of BLACK
soil, so this sand takes some getting used to, and it is possible
that it has more fertility that I think - they grow some pretty high
dollar crops around here).

This is kind of off the topic, but it has me worried...Glo are you on an
ancient sand blow? Something that might have been created in the
1811-1812 New Madrid quakes? If so, you probably have a high water
table..something to think about and prepare for.

Bev

--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.