homestead - [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:25:49 -0700

What kind of pump did your
cousin have?

Don't know the brand. Very small, simple 12V thing that pumped slow but sure 24/7. He may have bought it from Real Goods. Not sure. He's a master plumber, so he may have used a plumbing catalog. If anyone needs to know I will contact him and ask.

To me, we've been presented a false trichotomy. Our apparent choices
are 1) nothing at all; 2) an electric pump; or 3) a thousand-dollar
windmill with a $400 rotary-linear motion converter from the Lehmann's
catalog and a 100' long driveshaft ending in a $200+ solid brass deep
well pump.

My present choice is a ram pump. I have the stream and I have a hill. But my mind is open to anything else that costs less or has less maintenance. The stream flow energy is free. The dam provides other important benefits: a fish pond, and an all-weather crossing. A ram pump can cost from perhaps a hundred dollars for off-the-shelf parts to this:

2" SS Ram Pro 2.0" (drive pipe) 1" (delivery pipe) 8 gpm 30 gpm 3' (minimum fall) $1,445 Stainless/ Stainless

http://www.rampumps.ca/pricing.php

For anything but a well, there is also the issue of water quality, certainly with a surface source. I have not resolved that issue yet. I have a good spring about four hundred feet from the house but strongly suspect it is subject to surface contamination during heavy rain.