homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:40:14 -0800

Clint L. Novak wrote:

Hey Bill, how about some pictures or diagrams of the water pump for
those of us untutored in ad hoc mechanics.
I understand the concept, but my brain refuses to put it all together.

Clint
We took a picture of it with the digital camera last week, but I don't think the List accepts images. I'll try to get someone to post it at my website ASAP (I'm all thumbs when it comes to that too).

You can find some material on-line about it. Sometimes it's called a positive pressure pump, or a Stauffer pump. The only people talking about it are at Bowjon International (makers of windmills), but their web pages are less informative than commercially persuasive. It's all such a secret, but I think their pump may be self-controlling; you just hook up the air tube (although also $400 with purchase of a windmill, $800 without). We sized up going their route and it still comes to much more $$$. Apparently the Stauffer pump gets stuck in the middle of a cycle if the air runs out, so you need your own "receiver tank" to store enough air for one cycle.

When our circuit is actually soldered together in its final form, I'll post a circuit diagram for that at the website, too. It's two transistors, three relays, one diode, one capacitor, and a few resistors.

Bill
S. Oregon coast