homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:24:06 -0600

On 2/7/07, Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:
If only our stream ran in summer! My partner informed me that he would
not even so much as bathe in surface water, so with no need to water
very many plants in winter, that plan sort of died.

Just as a little food for thought, some folks live solely on surface
water. I knew a family that lived on a small farm. They did not have a
well. Instead, they had two ponds. One pond ran into the other pond.
The first pond acted as a sort of sediment filter. The second pond was
their water source. They used the water for everything. They had a UV
filter for bacteria. They had other filters as well, but I cannot
recall now the makeup of their system. But they seemed quite healthy,
and their water coming out of the tap was clean - certainly not as
gross as a lot of city tap water I've encountered! So if push ever
comes to shove, it is a water source you could utilize.

Gloria