homestead - Re: [Homestead] [bayes][heur][bcc][faked-from][mx] Re: [bcc][faked-from][mx] Re: Solar and wind

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [bayes][heur][bcc][faked-from][mx] Re: [bcc][faked-from][mx] Re: Solar and wind
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:27:52 -0600

The USB enclosure you buy has a IDE data connection and a power
connection just like the one in you computer. These are connected to a
circuit board(which you don't care about) that hold the USB circuitry.
You get software with it so you can use the enclosure with Windows
98(and maybe Mac). XP usually will recognize it, if not the software
will work. You can buy a USB harddrive anywhere for $80 on up, but
since you want to access your own data you just need the enclosure. I
bought mine from Microcenter, which has a website and we have a store
here in Minneapolis.
So general instructions:
1) Take the panel off the enclosure(4 screws).
2) Connect the Data cable.
3) Connect the power cable.
4) Screw the harddrive to the curcuit board(4 screws).
5) Slide the board with the harddrive back in the enclosure.
6) Put the back panel back on.
7) Connect external power and USB cables to enclosure and then the other
end to you PC.
8) Turn on the enclosure, XP will say "found new hardware" and hopefully
recognize it, if not load the software.
9) You should see all your data.

If anyone needs further clarification, I could take mine apart and take
some pics and post somewhere.

Clint