homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:00:48 -0800

At 2/7/2007, you wrote:
They did not have a well. Instead, they had two ponds.

I grew up on pond water. The pond was above the house in a pasture. Cattle drank from the pond, pissed and crapped in the pond, my brother and I swam in the pond, and we drew house water from the same pond. When the pond was dug a plastic pipe was set in the middle about four feet from the bottom. My father used a County Extension Service bulletin to build an activated Charcoal filter in an 8 foot concrete box. I spoke with the current owners a couple years ago and mentioned the concrete pit and they said they wondered what that big concrete box was for. They could not dig it out so it is still there.

I spent the summer washing and showering in surface water with no ill affects. At one time I thought maybe I had something but looking back I do not believe there was a problem. I did a bit of research and found a recommendation to use garlic, so no problem there, I did. For drinking I used bottled water but other than that the rest was water right from the creek.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.