homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water systems, was Unpreparedness
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:58:15 -0800

Gene GeRue wrote:

Not sure if your stream flow is adequate, but check out sling pumps. Here is a source:

http://www.riferam.com/sling/index.htm

It sounds a bit like an Archimedean Screw that turns in the water flow, but I'm not sure how it develops enough pressure to reach 82 feet.

I looked around their website, and here's what I found:

http://www.riferam.com/sspump/index.htm

The "SS Pump" is probably a compressed air pump exactly like the one I've described. It's operated from a steady compressor, rather than a windmill, so there's no need to wait a variable amount of time before refilling, eliminating the need for my sophisticated (but cheap) electronic controller. Instead a constant pulsing of air would do. Maybe that's how this and the Stauffer pump work. They just don't go on if there's not enough air, and they only go on long enough to fill the cylinder. You'll notice the lack of detailed specs. I don't think they want you to know that it's just a cylinder with two check valves attached to the bottom.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Bill
S. Oregon coast