homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:09:05 -0500

Waaaeeeell, Leeeenda, you can come on down here and talk to me and my frands Sayrah and Aaava cuz we won make fun o you. :)

Lynda wrote:
I had the opposite problem. I had a nanny from Georgia (back in the day, as the kidlets say, a babysitter who came to your home was called a nanny). I had an accent so thick you could cut it with a knife. First day at school and the teacher does the "now stand up and tell us your name" and then because there was a Naval base and the projects for ex-servicemen, she asked where we were from.

Nasty old woman sent me home with a note pinned to my dress! She flat refused to believe me when I told her I was born in SF and raised in Humboldt County, CA!

I have to be real careful because folks are inclined to think you are making fun of them when you aren't from the South and suddenly you're "y'all-ing" and "dahling-ing" and so forth and so on but it comes right back in full force if I'm around anyone with an accent for more than about 15 minutes.

Well, of course, I did, too, but I lost it for a spell while in college
and just after. As you know, Emory is full of New Yorkers who didn't
make it into Harvard, and I later worked at a computer firm where I was
the ONLY Southerner...almost everyone was from NY, NJ, and MA...there
was one guy, Louis, who introduced me to Lacrosse and was funny as
hell...Louis was from Wisconsin, the first person I ever met from that
state. I lost my accent to the point that people would ask me where I
was from..they thought I was from the Midwest. (And by the way folks,
those around here consider Colorado the Midwest...places like Ohio and
Illinois are "up north" :)