homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:24:35 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

In the east Tennessee Appalachian area where James exists, we
normals might not even be able to understand local gutterances.

Indeed you wouldn't. And even if you did, you'd have no idea what we
were talking about. Our normal speech is very .... eh .... distinct.
But it is so indirect that the untutored have no idea what's being
discussed.

In addition, there are a LOT of things we say that sound contradictory.
One of my favorites, one that still throws me for a loop, is "I
don't care to..." Just today, I heard someone say, I don't care to help
you move....What that really means is I'll be happy to help you move or
I don't mind helping you move.
We also say goofy things like "throws me for a loop". :)
My hick accent gets worse/better every year.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.