homestead - [Homestead] Memory Lane, was Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Memory Lane, was Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:27:33 -0800

Well, RC and sweet tea is a direct link to my nanny. Having either one takes me right back to that time.

Same thing with driving past the drying sheds out at Sierra Pacific. That takes me back to Grampa Harry who used to bring home all the mill ends for us kids to build things with. He had piles of them in the garage and you'd open the door and there would be the sweet smell of kiln dried fir.

Now I drink an iced tea that is made with green tea, lemongrass and orange pekoe. I brew up a whole pot of it and put it in a pitcher that looks just like the Kool-Aid guy. I squeeze a couple of lemons and drop them in. No sugar! That is reserved for the once in a blue moon of memories with the sweet tea.

We drink buckets of it in the summer. Nothing better when it's 110 out!

Don't they?? ;)
Seriously, we need the hydration and the energy. Anyone who does
physical work outside NEEDS to drink something sweet and refreshing. I
personally don't like sweet tea. I will occassionally make a pitcher
(pichur) of unsweetened tea for myself, but that's rare. If I drink
tea, I drink it hot, for the most part, and depending on what kind of
tea it is, sometimes I will add milk (for flowery teas like Earl Gray)
and sometimes I will add citrus juice (for standard black teas) and
sometimes I will just add honey, for herbal and fruity teas.