homestead - [Homestead] Language was: nomenclature

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Language was: nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:40:52 -0800

At 1/13/2007, you wrote:
In the east Tennessee Appalachian area where
James exists, we normals might not even be able to understand local
gutterances.

My son who grew up here in southern California moved to Asheville, NC a couple of years ago. It was a real education for him. He worked the store in Hendersonville which has enough cross section that he was able to pick up most of it but when he took over the store in Waynesville he ran into what calls Mountain Folk. Almost a year and a half later he is still trying to understand some of them.

He also speaks Spanish well enough to sell auto parts but even there it is a slightly different version he had to relearn. His store is doing well, in part because he helps the Spanish speakers and the word has spread.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.