homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:17:59 -0500

I know you are talking to James, but here in Calhoun, NW GA, most
Hispanics are from Central America,,,Mexicans, Guatamalans, and I know a
few Nicauraguans and Savadorians. I know of absolutely no Puerto Ricans
here, but where we used to live there was a family of 3 PR brothers who
all lived in my neighborhood. However, they had all moved up here after
Hurricane Andrew...all had lived in Homestead, FL. Most Carribeans I
know in my area are Black, not Hispanic, many from Jamaica.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
If that weren't enough, one cannot conduct normal business (rural
business) here any more without being somewhat fluent in Spanish.

That surprised me, until I thought about how many if not most Hispanic people live, quite close to the land. So it would be natural
for them to seek a place where the natives live that way. Are most
of your Spanish speakers from the Caribbean region?