homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:20:22 -0700

Historical accuracy, I think.

In that case I would consult old timers in the area represented in the book. Terms vary widely across the country. In Wisconsin words are spoken clearly. In the east Tennessee Appalachian area where James exists, we normals might not even be able to understand local gutterances.

My books are of no help. Jerry Belanger, on a drawing in his book, Raising Small Livestock, uses the term chick door.

The best colloquialism I can think of is hen hole.