homestead - [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:47:42 -0600

In one of my other lives, I'm a copyeditor.

On my copyediting list, a member posed this question:

<<Does anyone know if there is a special term for that little door in a
henhouse/chicken coop that is only big enough for the chickens to get through?

If there isn't actually a term for it, are there any suggestions?

This is for a historical fiction manuscript.>>

I've always called it a sally port, but that may just be an inside
family thing. What do you call it?

Marie, still enjoying power after the ice storm in central Illinois
(the same storm that did in Oklahoma and Arkansas) and not currently
being afflicted by freezing rain