homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rural conditions

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rural conditions
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:48:11 -0800

Gene,
Your county is so similar to ours, but about 1/3 more population.
Unlike many other of the 120 counties in our state (law said each citizen
must be within a day's horseride to their county seat, and none willing
to give up that good ol' boy power!), sadly, ours has next to no
infrastructure for businesses to start up. There are only a couple of
vacant buildings in the tiny town, whose owners keep rents high enough to
discourage startups. One of our hopes in the long term are eco or agri
tourism....not a quick thing to get going. Even stores like Savalot turn
our county down! It is quite a business black hole, for the time
being.......and there is some sort of dreamy, apathy drug floating in the
ethers here. Much like rural Mexico, there is a defeatist attitude
toward so much. Most people receive disability or welfare, and content
themselves with it. When i took the University of KY's offer for a
fellowship toward rural ent'ship, i had alot to learn about just how
needy our area is. Hope lives on, and a measure of envy for places where
there are at least buildings to put enthusiastic business people into.
My two year commitment of volunteering toward this cause will easily
occupy my time for a few decades, life allowing! I believe that educated
and caring outsiders have put new breath into our stagnant area.....and
there are plans in the works, albeit slowly. Thankfully, we do have some
fanatastic natural areas and rivers here, that attract people from all
over the world in warmer seasons.
Toni