homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of the Web

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of the Web
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:48:42 -0800

<I foresee a webless future at EarthNSky.

Hi Bev,
I have had many of the same thoughts on this. It just knocked our
sox off when dsl came out here to our VERY remote, backwoods home - with
only 3 other dsl customers within miles of here. I thought it'd be 10
years away or never. Cell phones do not work by our Gorge, and we also
keep an old rotary-dial cord phone to use when the power is out. I
cannot afford iPods ( tho relation gifted one to our teen daughter!). Our
one cordless has only eaten 2 batteries in 6 years, tho they are 13.00
each. The convenience of it during growing season is so worthwhile.
Satellite is not affordable to us, either. DISH is more than we should
spend, but we keep doing that (DH is more of a town boy, and needs his
NFL and Porter Wagner!!). It is so wonderful for all cyberpals to have
each other for now....... i foresee it being otherwise in the future for
several possible reasons. I will enjoy it - these boomtown times - but
think it not realistic for most of the world to keep up. Someday, when
we can't do it - we will get a hell of alot of things done, G-willing and
the creek don't rise again (but it will!)!

I google myselves regularly (oh my!), and DO think it scary how
visible we all are to all. Weird. It is easy to lose girlhood or women
friends on the web, thru name changes and such , but even living a life
without reproach i still am wary of being so seeable to all.

Bev, i will enjoy your presence until we can't! May that be a long time
coming for all of us.
Toni