homestead - [Homestead] The future of the Web

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The future of the Web
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:20:36 -0500

There's gonna come a day, for me, when I will no longer be online.
Already, I feel really outdated on so many things. Due to my slow
internet connection, I am limited to what I can access online. I can't
watch videos. I can't download large files. Increasingly, files and
programs are getting larger, but hey, no worries since it seems 90% of
folks have broadband or cable connections that just fly by me. I can't
afford satellite internet, and I doubt I ever will. I noticed that a
lot of free internet courses, lectures, etc. are available for podcast.
I don't have an iPod, nor could I afford one, nor would owning one be
feasible as long as I connect at 26400 kbps. Every website/program is
set up for those with fast internet connections. I just got an alert
for an Adobe update...."takes less than a minute on broadband"...of
course, that equates to at least 10 minutes for me.
I foresee a webless future at EarthNSky. I foresee a TVless future at
EarthNSky. No high def stuff here and I already spend enough on DISH
without adding an additional charge for some kind of converter box. I
foresee going back to an old corded phone, at least I won't have the
battery woes that I currently deal with on my cordless phone. A corded
phone will work even without electricity. I don't own a cell phone
because they don't work here.
In going through some of my old printed material, I decided to, just for
kicks, see if I could still find some of the material online....about
50% of it is no longer available online, at least that I could find. If
you come across a good informative website, I suggest you save the whole
thing as a file, because it might not be there tomorrow, or if it is,
you will probably have to pay to see it. The web is growing, sure, but
the question is, what is it growing into? Information, especially free
information, is getting harder to find, not easier, at least in my
experience. The things you really need, like help with that
Rout-a-signer thing, are nowhere to be found, yet personal information
on folks is everywhere. I googled "erthnsky" a second ago and got
almost 9400 hits, mostly posts I have made to this list and others I
frequent. That doesn't include the hits I got on my name or variations
thereof, but google Rout-a-Signer and you get 59 hits, all worthless ads
from Ebay and like places. It's frustrating. More than that, it's
spooky.
The day is coming...

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.