homestead - Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:17:35 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
How would one move large quantities or heavy materials into or out of
such a design?

The only way, I think is by wheelbarrow.

Consider it carefully. A wheelbarrow becomes ever more unwieldy with age or infirmity compared to a two-wheeled garden cart.

Generally, I would agree with you, but in this case, we are talking about a spiral that would be maybe 15 feet in diameter. There's not going to be a need for a 2 wheeled cart at the center of the spiral. Each bed would only be about a foot wide, just enough to zigzag some strawberry plants. What would I need a two wheeled cart for? What am I missing here?
My regular garden raised beds are separated by 36"to 40" paths. I did have 10 feet, but never used it so I added beds in that space. I have a large 2 wheeled wheelbarrow that is 35 inches wide, narrower axle width, and it fits just fine through those paths.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.