homestead - Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:03:44 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
What say ye about these options? What should I do? I really want
height, 3 tiers, and I want to be able to easily reach the center, like
I would be able to do with the 6 ft diameter round bed. Suggestions?

What is the nature of the rooting medium? Are there any watering considerations?

I'm just going to use regular garden soil mixed with compost and partially composted mulch. My soil is acidic and strawberries grow well. No watering considerations as I collect rainwater. I have seen things that bring a pipe out of the middle of the bed, but I don't think that is necessary here.
I've made hypertufa before, Wen...it's great for small projects, but I think buying the materials (concrete, perlite, etc.) would put the project out of budget on my scale. I plan to use the scrap siding, because if I don't use it for something, I'll have to haul it off. These long strips will make a great border edging and they are wide enough to make a decent height raised bed.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.