homestead - Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:16:19 -0700

I've done the tiered beds and the one single disadvantage was water. The top
tier could get bone dry in a hurry.

That's why I asked Bev about rooting medium and water. As I mentioned earlier, the higher garden bed walls go, the more perfect the drainage and the more difficult it is to keep elevated soil moist. I only know two solutions: 1] have very-high-ratio organic matter soil; 2] have a built-in watering system that is either on a timer or constant drip that keeps putting water into that top area.

Lugging hoses sucks. I am working toward a system that takes care of watering needs whether I get out of bed or not. I have succeeded in doing this here at the Phoenix property, so I know I can do it at Heartwood.