homestead - Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:35:37 -0700

Each bed would only be about a foot wide, just enough to zigzag some
strawberry plants. What would I need a two wheeled cart for? What am I
missing here?

Ah. I misunderstood. I thought you were musing the idea of a regular garden in this shape, not just for strawberries.

I have found many delightful garden designs in books, especially for herbs. Haven't felt compelled to make one yet. It always goes back to beauty versus utility and utility has thus far nearly always received the choice.

It is difficult for us here to be helpful on garden path design because there are so many local imperatives. My present design is wide grass paths that are easily mown for fast maintenance and no mud. I tried chips and sawdust but they rot fast in my climate.