homestead - Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:58:13 -0700

How would one move large quantities or heavy materials into or out of
such a design?

The only way, I think is by wheelbarrow.

Consider it carefully. A wheelbarrow becomes ever more unwieldy with age or infirmity compared to a two-wheeled garden cart. My first Heartwood garden design had paths on each side of four-by-sixteen- foot beds, alternating between two feet wide and four feet wide. That way I could get the big garden cart to one side of each bed and be able to merely walk along the other side. Worked good.

Simple mistakes come back to bite. I called the person borrowing my cart and asked her to measure the width of the cart. I used that measurement to design the main people gate into the garden through the moat. Weeks later I found that, alas, she had measured the box, but not including the wheels. Major gate rebuilding ensued.