homestead - Re: [Homestead] Permaculture

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:17:39 -0700

Here's an example of a Permacultural approach to a common problem. Let's say you want to partly heat your home with wood. First, you buy a very efficient wood stove. Next, you need to locate and design your wood storage. You decide to cover it to keep the wood dry, and to include an overhang to keep you dry and comfortable when you go to get the wood. Next, you decide that the wood must be convenient to the door closest to the woodstove, to save you time and effort. And you decide that it must be at least 15 feet from the house, to minimize the chance of your house becoming colonized by carpenter ants or termites brought in on the wood. Now that you have located the woodshed, you notice the opportunities you will have created. The woodshed roof can be built almost flat, a railing built around it, and a ladder up to it for a children's play platform. Railed off on one end, you can locate a honeybee hive, with the bees' flight pattern conveniently out of your, and the children's way. The woodshed roof can have a gutter, to direct rainwater to a small pond or swale that you dig nearby. This will collect the rainwater and allow it to percolate into the ground. Now you have a wet spot. You can take advantage of that by planting a pair of kiwis on a mound next to it - they need the summer soil moisture - and training their long, lovely twining branches onto the railing of the play platform - very convenient for harvest.

http://www.thefarm.org/permaculture/index.html