homestead - Re: [Homestead] Permaculture

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:12:51 -0400

Toni -- When we moved to this place, there were 2 black walnut trees, both
fairly mature. That was in 1968. One has since been hit by lightning and
died. In 1979, we left the place for 6 years, to operate a dairy farm about
a mile away and stopped mowing the fields under those trees and around.

Now we have young walnuts in profusion. At least 3 of them are bearing nuts
themselves. We probably mow several young shoots under every year now. You
might want to look up the time it takes from seed to sapling. Until the
tree has long enough of a shoot to recognize, it might be easy to kill it
off my mowing or driving over it.

My husband now considers the black walnuts to be a nuisance tree, almost on
the level as elms. The nuts sure can make for ankle twisters!