homestead - Re: [Homestead] Permaculture

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:36:59 -0700

My husband now considers the black walnuts to be a nuisance tree, almost on
the level as elms. The nuts sure can make for ankle twisters!

They sure can. We have a large black walnut near the east side door. Each year we have to kick and rake a path through the walnuts to the garden area day after day. We give the nuts to two neighbor couples. Hundreds of pounds each year from three huge trees and the dozen or so I saved by simply not mowing them about twenty years ago.

Which reminds me of an admonition Tvo often gave: if you want walnut trees to some day make decent boards you have to prune them beginning at a young age and continually over the years, at least until the log portion has been formed clean of branches.

Our neighbor-friends, the Lunas and the Hubbards, who pick the nuts are now using spring wire devices that are rolled over the ground. The nuts slip into the globe-shaped device, saving bending over.

Spoiled by California walnuts, I planted two English walnuts years ago. They are sure growing slow.