homestead - Re: [Homestead] Permaculture

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:13:39 -0500

Good idea with the chicken scratch, Gene. I have been hoping for laying
hens here for a few years, but it is becoming apparent that i must build
it myself ( those skills are just beginning for me at this time of
life!). I plan a chicken yard outside of the henhouse, because of both
natural predators and our beloved dogs - who have a thing about birds. I
want a chicken subway down one side of the yard for the same purpose as
your run - to assist with our composting. I will divide my hen yard in
two, growing greens and extra chicken goodies in there - switching every
other year.

Also, i have long wanted a garden shed for storage and processing , on
the top of our slight-sloping kitchen garden. If i have my way, it will
have great roof overkill - and be like a Japanese Tea House - with an
overhang porch around three sides ( shade for all those sitting jobs and
when the rains happen). I plan a good water catchment/cistern that i may
have good water for the plants and also for cleaning whatevers. Right
now, i water from a pond that is slightly downhill and at least a few
hundred feet away, using a long cord and sump pump! Thankfully, one
doesn't have to water much in Kentucky and with the amount of clay in the
soil - but we KNOW that these things are changing along with the world's
climate. My water pressure is low, but it works well enough thus far. I
am planning on putting up my high tunnel this spring, so watering will
take on new difficulties in there. I wish my field right above the pond
were prepped with great soil, but it's not the time to start a whole new
area for that tunnel.

I am trying to plant more neighborly natives for food and fruits - have a
small group of Paw Paws in, Huckleberries, Hickory, Persimmon, and
Butternuts. I wonder why the Black Walnuts are never self-propagating
around these farms? Do any of you ever have any wildlings come up from
them?? Our walnut trees are getting old, and new ones should go in for
the next bunch to live here!
Toni