homestead - Re: [Homestead] Triage - was insurance

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Triage - was insurance
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:06:03 EST

> 1. "shit happens" is not synonomous with "wallowing in it."

Then it's a pity that there is so much wallowing in it and advocacy of
wallowing in it any time there is a discussion appears here exploring any way
of
improving one's lot. A good example is that any health, disease, or fitness
topic that comes up an anyone brings up the role that obesity plays in it,
you're
response is never "Is that really so, what's the evidence for that?" Instead
it is always ,"Ah, you're hung up on that again are you!" Wallowing in
it.
Yes it's a pity that rather than deal with such things as "shit happens"
and go on, you always take time to wallow in it.

> 2. "shit happens" is not synonomous with "there's no point."

Then it's a pity that your comments always center around "there is no point".
Try to discuss the effects of this or that on any human condition and you
can rely on Lynda and company to pipe up with, "But I know someone who if
they
tried that it wouldn't have helped so you can't say that, at all, ever, ....
there is no point." Yes it's a pity that rather than deal with such things
as
"shit happens" and go on, you always cut it short by saying that there is no
point.

> 3. "shit happens" does not mean "throw 2 steaks on"

Then it's a pity that the only contribution you ever seem to make to such
discussions is, "throw two steaks on."

> ,

So if you are through breaking down, which is all this is, let me break it
down for you:

There are people who advocate self-reliance and sustainablity as a general
philosophy whether it's not depleating the soild and envirnoment or whether
it
is in our own personal circumstances. A lot of such people take up
homesteading. Such people look at "shit happens" actually, and in practice,
as "Oops,
that happened, is there anything I could have done better (so I won't do it
again) and now that it has happened, what can I do to counter act the
effects."

Other people are out for a pity party. They make a hash of their lives and
are always on the lookout for an excuse of why it wasn't their fault, and in
fact, I'm so good and noble to be doing as well as I am considering all the
things that just crept up on me in the night unfairly and unawares.

The attitude of always looking for improvements isn't,. as you state, an
attitude of "toeing the line". Toeing the line is static, achieving a fixed
state
and not moving beyond it. When one is looking for the best view toward
improvement, it is dynamic and moving.

However when the only possible outcome acceptable is for everyone to join in
a chorus of "Oh, poor pitiful you, look at all the bad things that have
happened to you and you are soooooo good to have been able to get as far as
you have
inspite of it all" ... when that's the only possible acceptable outcome, then
it is natural, I suppose, for those seeking the maximum freedom, health, and
(homestead type) prosperity in their lives, and advocating the same, .. I
suppose it is natural to look at those people as having a pissy attitude and
trying to fit others into a box.

OK, shit happens, so quit wallowing in it, there is still a point to seeking
better in your life, and you will get there a lot quicker if you don't throw
two steaks the grill as your solution. There'd be some indication of that if
you comments here contained a great deal less complaining and whining and a
few
more takes on how you'd improve that no matter what your circumstances.