homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tone

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tone
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:31:10 -0500

I kinda feel like you are talking about me here, Gene, so I'm
responding. Maybe you will see it, or maybe you will have filtered me.

I said before that I feel like I had bared my soul, and I meant it.
There are few subjects that I feel strongly about, and in the past on
this list, I have held my tongue and listened to everyone's point of
view,,,,reading, thinking, and learning. I did not always agree, and in
fact, I disagreed more often than I like to recollect. My views, in
some instances, are radically different than others on the list,
especially in the political realm of discussions. Many folks on the
list express their views in such a way that it is OFTEN demeaning to my
own unvoiced views, and I have almost always held my tongue. Not much
surprises me anymore as I know most listmembers pretty well. I expect
certain things from certain people.

I'll be the first to admit that I went a bit over the top with sarcasm
on the "Insurance" thread. I spent some time this evening rereading my
posts and cringed a couple of times...saying to myself, "I shouldn't
have written that". I should have shown more restraint. I usually do.
My behavior was not polite, and I apologize to you and anyone else I
offended. I just got carried away after the shock of discovering how
you felt on certain matters. I'm not a very good writer. I don't argue
my points well. I was never good at debate. I only know how I feel,
and obviously this time, I think everyone got a good glimpse into a side
of me that is abrasive, the side that has kept me out of like
conversations for most of my list tenure.
I said 6 months ago that I was back for a visit, and that I would try to
lurk. Obviously, that didn't work out too well. So much for TRYING in
that regard. James' post "In Umbra Igitur" and this one on "tone" has
me thinking that perhaps this list has changed more than I thought.
James' first paragraph stating that the list is more for homesteaders
than about homesteading has given me pause to reflect on what purpose,
if any, my own presence here serves. I like and prefer discussing
'actual homestead issues', but I know and have always known that this
lists leans away from that. I have failed at my attempt to fit in and
argue my views without offense. Perhaps I have even worn out my welcome
here.
For the time being, I'm backing away from the list. I got a new
landscaping CD and I am anxious to muddle through it. I have several
potential "jobs" as others are willing to pay me for landscape
consultation. Who knows, it might even turn into a sideline income, but
I have to learn how to use the program first.
I got my pecan trees in the mail today as well (2 Kanza and 1 Pawnee),
and I still have more fence to stretch for the chicken moat.
I got an antique desk to refinish, and since my folks just today closed
on a house not 15 miles away, I'll be helping them move up here in the
coming weeks(an 80 mile move from the Atlanta area-they've lived there
for over 40 years, so there is a lot of stuff to move). My house is
filthy and there is still a possibility that TJ might come home for
Christmas. I have baking to do as well, as I can't afford traditional
gift giving. I wonder, with so much to do, if I can *really* lurk here,
but I am going to try. It's easy to lurk on some lists, and I don't
feel personally connected to the people there, but here, you are ALL
like family to me, even those of you who irritate, surprise, disappoint
or anger me.
So worry not list family...opine away...I'm retreating to my corner of
the porch for the time being...I'll have a cigarette or 20 and just
listen in. :)

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
I hope that no individual will take offense.

The recent discussion, I think the primary subject line was Insurance, bothered me. Not in the differing thoughts presented, but
in the tone of some of the posts. Health might well be considered
the most important issue we face. Without health, we are diminished
or dead. So here we were considering a matter of the greatest importance. Several posters offered their considered opinion and/or
bits of research they have found and thereby added to our collective
knowledge. And then there were what I will with restraint call insincere posts, ranging from flippancy to sarcasm to insult.

What keeps me here is the combination of intellect, experience and forthrightness by a group of people who think outside the modern box.
I expect bias. I love strong opinions. I relish well-reasoned discourse. What flaws the experience for me is the tone of some posts. When I see sarcasm I first feel empathy for a soul who is unhappy. As it continues I become less empathetic and more estranged.
When I see flippancy in response to sincerity I feel disappointment.
As flippancy continues I feel anger and question the value of my
time spent here. When I see insult I feel repulsion.

I don't believe in censorship and will always support free speech. But computer magic allows filters to be made. In the future, if you
become upset with me because I do not respond to a question directed
to me, you may well consider that I did not read your post because a
filter saved me from the experience.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky