homestead - [Homestead] Tone

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tone
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:10:14 -0700

. . . there is still a point to seeking better in your life, and you will get there a lot quicker if you . . . .

I've been chewing on something for the last several days and the quote above provides an intro.

I have at this moment extra freedom. I am on the new computer, prior posts are on the old computer which at the moment is being used by Chris, so I have not read the post that elicited this reply and so, except for the name reference in the second paragraph, I am writing with sublime ignorance. I hope that no individual will take offense.

The recent discussion, I think the primary subject line was Insurance, bothered me. Not in the differing thoughts presented, but in the tone of some of the posts. Health might well be considered the most important issue we face. Without health, we are diminished or dead. So here we were considering a matter of the greatest importance. Several posters offered their considered opinion and/or bits of research they have found and thereby added to our collective knowledge. And then there were what I will with restraint call insincere posts, ranging from flippancy to sarcasm to insult.

What keeps me here is the combination of intellect, experience and forthrightness by a group of people who think outside the modern box. I expect bias. I love strong opinions. I relish well-reasoned discourse. What flaws the experience for me is the tone of some posts. When I see sarcasm I first feel empathy for a soul who is unhappy. As it continues I become less empathetic and more estranged. When I see flippancy in response to sincerity I feel disappointment. As flippancy continues I feel anger and question the value of my time spent here. When I see insult I feel repulsion.

I don't believe in censorship and will always support free speech. But computer magic allows filters to be made. In the future, if you become upset with me because I do not respond to a question directed to me, you may well consider that I did not read your post because a filter saved me from the experience.