homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance, was Mad Cow Disease

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance, was Mad Cow Disease
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:44:47 -0600

On 12/10/06, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
You're the exception, not the rule, Marie. And, perhaps the women you know
are also. However, I have found that talk around the lunchroom table is not
necessarily what happens when folks are actually interacting with their
doctors.

I guess I know lots of exceptional people. As for my coworkers, I'm
going by courses of action they've taken when faced with choices. The
one thing they -- I guess I should include myself -- have in common is
not wanting to have any more down time than is absolutely necessary.
Interestingly, several of them have insisted on not having general
anesthesia if an alternative was available for major procedures.

I've sat in on literally hundreds of team meetings with patients and their
families and the over whelming majority of the people capitulate to the
"experts." They never even ask the "sensible" basic questions but only some
rather off-the-wall questions or comments.

Yeah, well people say lots of stupid stuff under pressure. I'm sure
I'd be no different but for education and experience.

Also, ability to pay and having insurance is not an indicator of non-sheople
status when it comes to medicine and one's health. I worked radiology at a
county hospital that got all the indiginent folks and the jail folks. I
worked rehab where they had the full spectrum and I worked the telemetry
unit at a major hospital. At least 90% but probably more, NEVER question
anything a doctor says except to ask cost and NEVER ask the pertinent
question such as you did with the myleogram.

Gene and James were the ones arguing that insurance was bad for your
health. I'm not too surprised that the indigent don't ask questions:
those are the folks who get rapped on the knuckles when they do ask
questions.

There is no excuse for sheople and the only explanation is conditioning.

Oh sure there is. It's called human nature.

Marie