homestead - Re: [Homestead] Photos

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Photos
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:40:28 -0500

Keith B wrote:

I really like the canoe, Bev, especially that design line you added. Thanks for letting us see it. The coop is nice too. :)

Thanks!
I hope I am not repeating myself here. I know I wrote this to someone
in a personal email, but I don't think I posted this to the list:
Ron mostly made it (I helped mill strips, sand, and do other assorted
stuff, like with the fiberglass layout and mixing resin-what a pain
that was)...it took over 8 months, start to finish. We have to lower
the seats and adjust them for us personally, but she floats and looks
great. It is THE quietest thing on the water, and she tracks fast, too.
When we get her balanced by adjusting the seats, she should make an
excellent fishing platform as well as a camping/tripping canoe.
The day we launched it was cold and rather windy. It was about 40
degrees so the water was very cold. We were being very careful not to
flip it. Consequently, we did not put her through all the paces we
normally would, but that will come in the Spring, I hope. We had on so
many layers of clothes that we would have drowned if we had flipped. :)
I think I had on 4 shirts, 3 pairs of socks, thermal underwear bottoms,
and a pair of hiking boots..not exactly the way you want to dress for
canoeing.
The canoe weighs about 80-85 pounds and is 17.5 feet long. It's made of
poplar(both the light and dark wood stripes) with oak gunwales,
deckplates, thwarts, and seats, and the wood plugs in the seats and
gunwales are black walnut.

Have you finished the telescope yet?

No. The group is building it and we just got the mirror ground. The
scope building project will be on hold probably through the winter as
this is prime observing time. Summer is hazy and the seeing isn't as
good, plus there are more hours of daylight to work on it, so the group
will probably pick back up on the scope in the Spring. We only get
together once a month, so it's a slow go.

And I'll look forward to some
garden pics. I haven't had time to even look at our garden lately. I know there's some Brussels sprouts and cabbages still out there.

I don't have anything growing right now, not really anyway. I did
finally manage to get into town and pick up haybales off the side of the
road, so I brought bales home and topped off the raised beds. I may
have to go to town again tomorrow, so I'll be scoping out more hay for
mulch. Basically, I'm just preparing for winter at present. I know I
described my raised beds on the list a few months back, but I don't
think I showed pictures. I document almost all of our homestead
projects, and I have photos of the beds under construction that I can
post-it might give someone ideas.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky