homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:22:37 -0600

n 11/28/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:
In a message dated 11/27/2006 9:34:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,

Eh? Are you sure you are not mixing metaphors? How can the boy be an
unschooler and have a time when his school work is done? Unschoolers don't do
school work. My children use math every day, probably every hour.

That's fine for the kind of math you need on a day-to-day basis, but
what about algebra, geometry, calculus, and more advanced math? Doing
that kind of math is fun for some people in the same way double
crostics are. Plus doing math stretches your brain and teaches you to
think in an entirely different way. I'm not sure most kids would even
know it existed unless someone introduced them to it -- wouldn't have
to be a teacher in a school, but of course the unschooled have
teachers.

This is an interesting thread, and I wish I had time and energy
tonight to reply to some more of the strands.

Marie