homestead - Re: [Homestead] [SPAM] Re: Schools

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [SPAM] Re: Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:03:10 -0500

You beat me to the punch, Van Dell! I was going to say the same thing.
Sure, in day to day living, most people use basic math operations, but
in some cases, math does, or rather can, require more advanced study.
I think it depends on the child's interests, which supports the
unschooling philosophy, but at the same time, I know that most kids
don't have a clue as to what opportunities await them out in the real
world, so they don't know what they might need to learn. Waiting until
you need something to learn it works fine in some cases, especially in
early and middle school level education and for adults who are already
in a job/career, but for teens and young adults, I feel that they really
need to have a more well-rounded capability in math, even if they end up
in a career that doesn't use it.
I want to ask James if his 14 year old can do this or that, but I know
that would only be setting him up for a comparison against other 14 year
olds that attend public school, so I won't do that as I know unschoolers
learn things at different rates and at different times. However, I
would like to know how James' son/daughter will learn, if he/she hasn't
already done so, logrhythms, trig functions, scientific notation, base
2, and other concepts in a practical way. How much reading do they do,
how much practice with problem solving do they get, or will they get?
What are his/her interests (the oldest)?
Homesteading *can* be complex and full of lessons, but many who
homestead don't pursue the more advanced trades and skills that require
higher math.

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
The advantage of studying math is not just that you might use mathmatical calculations in life, but the mental skills, logic etc. apply to all our thinking. Van Dell

--- "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:

You could say that you don't need or use much advanced algebra in daily living, but I suppose some people do and it would depend on what you do.

Lisa