homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:32:02 -0800

Hey, Lisa, try the Standard Diviants videos. I know lots of folks who didn't get algebra from standard book learning but used the videos and it clicked. Lots of homeschoolers have the videos, maybe you can find someone who has them and give it a try.

Also, sometimes if one gets the basics of algebra from the videos then they can go on, take a nightschool class at the local CC and get those long ago needed units.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

The year that I took high school algebra, my father changed jobs and we
moved out-of-state in November. My grade went from a high B to the lowest C.
When I went to college, I had to take algebra and failed it the first time.
My teacher had a thick Asian accent and I had a hard time understanding him,
let alone what the course material. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it
was the truth. I got a tutor but that didn't help much. So I took it again
and ended up dropping the course. All these years I've felt that I didn't
graduate college (attended three years) because I got hung up on Algebra.
Now you know my secret. Sometimes I think I'd like to finish my degree, to
have the choice to go on to other things, but know I'll still have to take
algebra. Ugh. I know math has practical applications in life, at 44 years
young I've experienced this, but I swear to you that I've never once used
algebra, even with my dozen years in mortgage biz. I'm a whiz at computing
debt-to-income ratio's and drawing up budgets, calculating debt and quickly
figuring out how much equity is in a home, etc, but don't give me an algebra
problem.