homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:29:35 -0500

O.K., Ray, my question for you is the same as my question for Gloria, how do
you know you wouldn't have gotten a more positive experience being
homeschooled?
Ok. First of all, I don't. Satisfied? That being said, however,
the activities I enjoyed and excelled at were not available outside
the public school setting.
You can pontificate if you wish, on the fact that if there were no
public schools, other avenues
would open. Might as well pontificate on which came first, the
chicken or the egg?

Also, I notice your qualifier of "actually being done." If by that you mean
that you don't see public school being replicated in a home setting, please
remember that public schools are a dismal failure as clearly exhibited by
their own "report cards." Why would homeschoolers want to duplicate that in
their homes, although, some do. Is that how you judge "actually being
done?"
I know several homeschooled children who could not read, could not
perform simple real-life math
applications, and generally were incapable of dealing in any
effective way with society.
This was largely due to the parents total abdication of any
responsibility to provide
educational opportunities for their children. Teaching, or at
least facilitating, basic
skills such as these are what I consider "actually being done"
Define "social skills." <snip>
So, please tell me what you are talking about when you say "social skills."
Simple. The ability to deal with ones peers in an effective
manner. At its base, this
may also be due to totally different mindset between home schooled
and public schooled
individuals. On this list, many of you complain about the need to
deal with unpleasant
people. The process for learning this begins when young.

Oh, and while you're at it, please tell me how many of those public school
students have exhibited the exact same lack of such skills as you say you
have seen in homeschoolers, cause, <snip>
Plenty. I have never once said that public schools were perfect,
only that active parental
involvement was necessary for success. The same applies for home
schoolers.

Plus, I've seen way more anti-social behaviors exhibited by public school
students than from homeschoolers.
Never mentioned anti-social behavior at all, merely poor social
skills. However, since
you brought it up, it could be a simple matter of statistics.

BTW, how do you come to the conclusion that homeschoolers, unschoolers in
particular I suppose, don't think we are connected one to another in our
society?
Simply a reference to the often anarchic comments I have read on
this list over the
past 5 years. Don't many of you try to separate yourselves from
society in various and sundry
ways, or am I merely deluded, and we are all happy people who love
everyone? Kum Ba Ya?

Ray
Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading
spam and email virus protection.