homestead - [Homestead] Chest candy

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chest candy
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:56:39 -0500

Military folks out there should now what chest candy is...it the ribbon
on a uniform.
TJ called tonight with good news...he got more chest candy, i.e.
ribbons. He finally had time to qualify on the 9mm pistol...I suppose
all the hunting and shooting at home paid off. He qualified as an
expert, making 238 of 240 points. He will be taking the M16 quals in a
few days, but in practice he has been 100%, so we expect the expert
rating on that too, after all, the M16 is more similar to the Ruger 223
that we hunt with, the rifle that TJ uses, and he can hit a dime from
4oo feet. So now, he will have a few ribbons to wear on this dress
uniform, and by the time I see him, he should be covered with candy
He said he is still in the hazing phase and that the submariners give
him a hard time, mostly about his accent. During mess, one of his
buddy's asked him ...hey Niklasson, what's your first name? He replied
TJ. "DJ? the guys asked.." "No TJ, T as in Tango"
So now it has stuck, and all the guys on the boat call him Tango. It
could be worse, he could be Tango Juliet or just Juliet..lol...Stallone
played Tango in Tango and cash, so at least it is associated with a
tough guy. He also is up for a Navy Achievement medal for crawling
under the engine block when no one else could or would. A NAM is
basically a gold star on your record telling you you done good. It was
really good to hear from him. He says some of the other guys are
freaking out over their quals, but that he is doing good and staying
ahead of the progress curve. He says it is easy compaired to what he
has already gone though, but that some of the guys don't take well to
the harsh words of commanders when they screw up, and therefore, some of
the guys are having problems. It makes sense because you have people
that learn out of books, and people who learn by doing. TJ is excellent
at both. The booklearners are dead in the water with the long schedule
and no time for study. The hands on guys are above the curve. He told
me again that he was really glad I homeschooled him for a while as he
thinks it made him tougher and less sensitive to criticism and hazing.

Bev

Lynda, what the latest on your kid?

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky