homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:29:07 -0400

HP is a paradox. I feel that their engineering is solid, but they don't have any QA to speak of. If you are lucky enough to get a good one, they are great. I won't deny that. But they send out so many units that should have never left the factory, that buying an HP is a gamble. They do have a very lenient return/repair/replacement policy and an outstanding repair facility (you call them and they have someone pick it up at your door (big items)or just take your word for it and send you a replacement (small items) -- friendly, no questions asked), but I would rather my equipment work out-of-the-box. Since the 80's, I personally, have had more HP computer equipment go back for service or replaced than not. I may be just unlucky.

Wendy

HP printers, cameras, etc. are all
the same way. Don't buy one.

Well, here's more anecdotal trivia input: I bought this HP laptop
running XP five years ago and while XP and software have given me
fits, the hardware has never faltered. Also, we have an HP Office Jet
G85 color printer/copier/fax/scanner that has performed perfectly for
the same period in all those functions. Go figure.

If HP hardware ran the Apple operating system I would buy one.