homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:18:21 -0400

Bev,

What version of Windows?

Rob - Va

On 10/24/06, SISU! <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
When you reinstall Windows, does it wipe everything out like a reformat,
or does it just write over the old copy or what? Do you just stick the
Windows Cd in and install it as it it were not already there?

For the past two weeks, I have been having crashes and shutdowns,
exception error, fatal exception errors, etc. I can barely get online
without Netscape crashing or Windows crashing. I've run Scandisk again
and again, and usually there are no errors, but once it did find errors
and it fixed them. It still did not solve the problem.

This whole thing seemed to start when I was negligent about vacuuming
behind the computer. I let a lot of dust build up. I have since
cleaned and blown all that out, but I am now wondering if I might have
fried the motherboard or something. The cooling fans are working
properly, everything is clean, the disk is only 20% full, and I haven't
installed any new software or loaded any kind of new game. No viruses
found, no spyware or other problems found. I do regular
maintenance-defrag, scandisk, etc. The damn thing just keeps crashing on
me. I've backed everything up, just to be safe, and am now thinking of
reinstalling Windows (98SE), but I've never done that before and am
worried about creating more problems.

Bev, stumbling around in the dark
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky