homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dumb Question about Windows
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:31:32 -0400

Bev,
It still sounds like a bad memory card, but it also sounds like you could use a new computer anyway. DO NOT buy a Compaq. Total piece of crap! Infant mortality problems and they won't let you make a boot disk. You have to make a set of CD's with all their origonal promotinal crap on it. And there is a LOT of promotional crap on a compaq. Buy a Dell.

Wendy

Thanks Rob....I really appreciate the help.
I shut down the system a minute ago and it fired right back up like
nothing was wrong. I held my breath and said a prayer...lol..
My monitor is good, and I don't need a huge hard drive. I could use a
new keyboard, but this one is okay.
I am thinking we replaced the motherboard in the Spring of 2005, but
can't recall for sure. I know I am maxed out on RAM on this machine.
Our local computer store closed down last month.
That Compaq looks pretty good and the price is right. It says it comes
with " nVIDIA® graphics: Integrated nVIDIA® GeForce™ 6150LE graphics
with up to 256MB of shared video memory" Is that a lot better than what
I have now? (nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400) Right now, even simple games
like Luxor will lock up. Ron wants to play Need for Speed, but we can't
play anything like that for some reason.

Bev, still amazed that the computer is seemingly fine now, but I don't
trust it.

Robert Walton wrote:

I'm not sure that dust would cause the problem, maybe over time. If
it was really, REALLY dusty it could cause the unit to overheat.
Probably just it's time.

You could look at this unit at Circuit City CPQ SR2002X Compaq
Presario SR2002X Desktop PC

Using yourcurrent monitor, its not a bad buy. Check around though
because there are lots of deals.

Again, a local computer shop, if reliable, can set you up pretty well
also.

Basically comes down to waht you can afford, but I hate to waste $$
on computers. They depreciate fast.

Rob