homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:57:19 -0400

Also, if soy hay is 40% protein, you might want to feed it in smaller
quantities and not allow free-feeding. You can do what you want, but
goats do quite well on far less protein, and all that protein,
especially soy protein, is gonna go straight into the hooves. Have you
learned to trim hooves yet? You may not need to with a natural diet and
a moderately rocky pasture, but I'll bet if you free feed that soy hay,
in no time, those goat's hooves will be curling under!
If it were me, and I know it's not, but if it were me, I would buy 3
bales of regular and one bale of soy. I'd feed soy only to the pregnant
and lactating does, maybe a little to the kids, but never in large
quantities for anything. Hoof health is important, especially in dairy
goats, so while I think you need soy, you don't want too much soy.

Good point. One I had not thought of. I had planned on not feeding
only the soy hay, but I'll feed the grass freechoice and the soybean
(if I get it) hay a little at a time.

Rob - Va