homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:58:32 -0400

When I had a dairy and was expanding my herd, I bought a number of
girls who had been dam-raised. I found out that being there when they
kidded turned wild things into tame goats. The first few milkings were
interesting, but they knew they were getting goodies on the stand, and
the wild period didn't last all that long.

Bottle raising babies does turn them into very tame kids.

All very interesting. I do appreciate the wisdom of everyone on this list.

I have to say that my 3 week experience with goats has been good. I
really like seeing all the brush that is gone changed into goat
berries. That may be the best thing that they produce for my place.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to pay for hay to winter them, but
next season I expect that there will be a change for the better on
these pastures. I'm hoping that if I mange their grazing well enough,
they can keep the bad stuff grazed back enough to let the grass get
ahead.

If i get some meat and milk out of the deal, all the better.

Rob - Va