homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:52:04 -0400

If the rest of your goats are 'wild', separate the girls if you can to
get them away from the meat goats and out of the herd mentality. It
will be easier on them if you do this now rather than later. You may
have to tackle one to catch her, but catch the goat and put a collar on
her if she doesn't have one so you can easily lead her around. Treat
her just as if she were a dog and take her for a walk. She'll protest,
but soon learn that going with you is good because you take her to new
browse and she will associate going with you to pleasurable food.

These two are the largest sisters from a triplet birth. My Boer goats
are suprisingly friendly. Not pets, the buck likes me to brush him
when I do the LDG. The girls don't let me handle them much, but eat
from a bucket.

Do I have to remove them from the herd to do as you suggested? There
is definately a herd mentality there.

Rob - Va