homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:39:13 -0500

On 10/23/06, SISU! <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
After she kidded, I took her babies so
they would bond to me instead of their mother. Moon suddenly realized
that I was the queen, and after that, she developed a suck up attitude
and I never had a problem with her.

When I had a dairy and was expanding my herd, I bought a number of
girls who had been dam-raised. I found out that being there when they
kidded turned wild things into tame goats. The first few milkings were
interesting, but they knew they were getting goodies on the stand, and
the wild period didn't last all that long.

Bottle raising babies does turn them into very tame kids.

Marie