homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:44:31 -0700

I'd ditto this part. We were lucky in that we didn't have only goats and if the goats wouldn't eat it the cows or the horses would. We even had them turn their noses up at some alfalfa we had in for the horses we were showing!

We got our first doe from Redwood Dairy Goats and her advise was "buy one bale from a lot and see if they like it first." Didn't think anything of it until the first time they turned their noses up at what I thought was some great hay.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
My goats, and some others I knew, were actually quite picky about their
hay. Several times, I bought hay that they would not eat. It wasn't
that they wanted more expensive hay, because more often than not they
liked the cheap, weedy stuff better, it's just that they sometimes acted
as finicky as a cat. If there is any way possible to avoid buying round
bales from the start before you know whether or not your goats will eat
it, I would. Perhaps you can get some loose hay or a square bale from
the same source and test the goats before you lay out the money for the
round bale?