homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:54:29 -0400

If you leave the babies on them, you'll have to lock the does up
overnight and milk in the morning (or lock the babies up all day, and
milk at night) to get decent production. In fact, you should also milk
just after the kids are removed for the day to maximize production.

Thanks for that info, Marie. Some variation of this is what I'll
probably be doing. Milking once a day should be fine for me.

My experience is, however, that you need to look at production records
and breed to great bucks to have a good milk supply. You can pick up
good goats cheap, but you have to be ready to eat the ones that
aren't.

I like having good bloodlines in my animals. Once I see if one or both
of these sisters turn out to be decent milkers, my goal is to obtain a
good buck this spring and breed to him.

Rob - Va